Fire engulfs city shop
Agartala : By Our Correspondent
A fire broke out in the kitchen of a city based hotel at Post Office Chowmuhani along HGB Road this morning causing massive damage to cotton made quilts, mattresses and pillows. Nobody was injured while dousing the flames that broke out in the kitchen of Chandana Hotel just morning. “The fire created a lot of panic because a thick smoke had accumulated in Swarupananda Bedding House. Fortunately, there was no people inside and we were able to bring the fire under control in a short time”, officials of Fire Services said.
Those inside the kitchen of the hotel, however, managed to escape. Four fire tenders were rushed to the site. The fire was brought under control after two hours. Even as other shops and business establishments stood in danger of being engulfed by the conflagration, the fire-tenders and local catering businessman Narayan Saha drew long pipes of the fire brigades vehicles and poured water on the endangered shops and business establishments and saved them. There was fear that Sunday’s incident could have taken a more gruesome turn. The hotel shares its wall and premises with numbers of shops and business establishments. It is said that locals and firemen working at the spot were able to locate the source of fire quickly. Thick black smoke and flames were seen emanating from the galvanized sheets of the bedding house. Once the fire was extinguished, quilts, mattresses and pillows were found lying scattered on the road. It is learnt that the hotel authorities had not abided by the fire safety norms. Meanwhile, the bedding house suffered losses worth several lakhs of rupees though others escaped any major loss.